Thursday, October 14, 2010

Another Trip to the ER

Tonight, Lily got a door slammed in her face, and the latch put a gash in her cheek deep enough to warrant a trip to the ER and liquid stitches. AGAIN. She thought the ER was a wonderful place, what with all the toys and games and cozy coupes:

("Look, Mama! One for me and one for Jillian!")

Before they could close her up, we had to hold a numbing pad against her cheek for a while...

The scabby-things on her forehead are unrelated. She has a habit of wiping stray hairs off her forehead with her fingernails, and does it so much, she's started giving herself little cuts. We are keeping her in headbands to keep the strays at bay, but she's so used to the motion (like me pushing up my glasses after I put my contacts on), I think it's going to be a while before she stops.

Also unrelated: her colorful hands. Three words: nailpolish, naptime, time-out.

Here's a close-up of her "boo-boo" post liquid stitches. It's a little swollen but numb and she was a trooper the whole time. We were in and out of the ER within 1/2 an hour.

I may sound a little nonchalant about the whole thing, and in retrospect, I guess I kind of was. Really, my biggest concern was scarring in the future right in the middle of her face. (The doctor assured me it will be no worse than the scar on her forehead, which I can see only because I know it's there.)

But honestly a little blood and a little cut I can deal with. We've done this exact same thing before...same ER, same side of her face, even the same doctor with his little tube of liquid stitches. Unlike febrile seizures, this is treatable. Easy to diagnose and fix. You're not pacing in the room, waiting for test results or trying to talk the doctor out of a spinal tap. *shudder* You're not wondering when you can go home or if/when it's going to happen again.

Though Lily did ask me if the extra bandages they sent home with me were for the next time she gets whacked with a door. ;)

More than anything - seizure flashbacks, etc. - what got me most tonight was this little newborn bed in the entrance to the ER. I was thinking, "Oh, that's convenient. Someone brings in a baby with an emergency, and they have that right there ready to go." Then I read the sign above it. This is a Safe Haven bed...a place to leave your baby when you can no longer take care of him/her yourself.

And I squeezed my baby's hand a little tighter as we walked back to the car in the rain, chatting about life and boo-boos and bedtime stories.

PS Lily is sleeping on the couch in Jacob's room tonight. They wanted to be together, and I was very happy to oblige. First time they've ever done this, EVER. Here's hoping it goes well and continues for years to come, so Samantha can get moved out of our room!

Related Post: Lily's 1st Trip to the ER


Anonymous said...

Wow, the last paragraph just kind of took it out of me.

Brent and Abigail said...

i just went and hugged my baby after reading that last paragraph. glad lily is fine. what a trooper. and i think she and joel would be good coloring/painting buddies. he also likes to find markers/paints and color on his hands - and everywhere else. hope the kids slept well together. how fun to share a room!

Anonymous said...


Glad Lily is fine too and she has such a wonderful mommy and daddy who love her so much! :-)

Amanda said...

Aww, poor Lily. How is it now? Rubbing vitamin E on it should help a lot. The last part made me teary. And the "naptime nailpolish timeout" made me laugh! What a roller-coaster post! ;)